Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Banner Ads: Only for the already informed

Banner ads, or any internet ads, never seem to stop me. Considering I spend a sizable amount of time surfing the web, reading articles, shopping, etc... I never notice or even consider clicking on an ad. Since 1997, the year I started exploring the internet, I can count the amount of ads that I've actually clicked on two hands. The only, and rare occasion that I have clicked on an ad is when I am well versed on the featured item and I want to learn more. Most the time, I find the ads are appropriate given the article I am reading, but never appeal to me. Also, just like billboards, they only work when they are simple. I consider most ads to be too busy. They have excessive copy and graphics, and my eyes ignore them altogether.
Hands down, the most obnoxious and abhorrent ads are the pop-ups that float over the page, obscuring my vision. On principle, I will never follow these ads. I am less offended by the 5-10 second ads that pop up before loading your desired page, because they have a quick "Skip this Advertisement" button. Being someone who is a fan of gadgets, I clearly remember clicking on a Slingbox ad. Although I've been using one for over a year, the ad was so aesthetically pleasing and promoted a NEWER Slingbox, I had to investigate further.
So...how do we get people to click on more internet ads? One, treat them as billboards. Since we are still in the nascent stages of internet advertising, we are trying to use every special effect and trick available to draw people's eyes towards the ad rather than making it easy on the eyes. I know from speaking to friends, we all try so hard to ignore them that our line of sight is extremely narrow. Two, if there is going to be movement within the ad, let it be a simple transition from one "billboard" to another, like the backstop ads at a Baseball stadium. Lastly, never forget that the consumer is not on the internet to be barraged by ads. Most people don't like to be accosted by salespeople when they shop in real stores, why would they want it on the internet?

No comments: